Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Johnny Depp Is Tonto?





Johnny Depp has signed on to star as Tonto in an upcoming Lone Ranger movie.  The mind boggles.  There's some mention of a comedic approach, but I just can't see this character getting a good treatment if that's what they do.

Of course the recent Green Hornet movie didn't meet my approval either.  It was Seth Rogen playing a superhero goof.  I liked it for that, but I immediately discounted that the film had anything to do with the Green Hornet character I love.

How many of you know that the Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet were created by the same creator and writer?  George W. Trendle and Fran Striker.

Did you know that John Reid (the Lone Ranger) is the great-uncle of Britt Reid (the Green Hornet)?  I'm beginning to suspect that today's filmmakers don't respect the Reid family tree.

I used to watch the old television series in reruns every day after school.  They were thirty minutes of sheer pleasure for me.  A true hero for a boy that wanted to wear a mask in his grownup job.



I mean, the Lone Ranger was totally cool.  It was one thing to talk to a dog for an animal sidekick, but you could ride a horse and believe it could haul you out of a well.  I struggled to believe that Lassie could pull that off.

Now Gentle Ben could have managed that with one big paw tied behind him.  Moving the bear from Alaska to the Florida Everglades flew in the face of the original book, but I loved Dennis Weaver on that swamp boat.  I wanted one of those when I grew up.






Probably could have rode him too.

I also enjoyed the cartoon series that came out and shared time with Zorro.





But for an absolutely fantastic treatment of the Lone Ranger in present day media, check out Dynamite Comics' series.  Several of the issues have been put out as graphic novels which have amazing writing and art.





And for those of you that still believe in heroes, I leave you with this, one of the most iconic voices in all of TV land.




No comments: