Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Joe Lansdale Never Ceases To Amaze Me


Joe Lansdale is one of my favorite people, and one of my favorite writers.  It's always good to have people in your life that are multi-purposed.  Makes the Christmas shopping list shorter for one.  Joe and I grew up in the same kind of redneck backwoods that people think of unkindly when they think of Texas (in Joe's case) and Oklahoma (in my case).  Both our fathers were mechanics.  Both of us grew up to be writers.  Both of us dream of better days for our children.

He wrote an essay that came out on the Mulholland Books site today that I think is simply awesome, understand and elegant and impactful.  Most of you that read this didn't grow up where Joe and I did, so the nuances might be truly lost on you, but I think the piece is strong enough that you'll remember some things to be thankful for.

So I'm giving you a link to the essay here, and I'm snickering because I used a picture that makes Joe's head look really BIG!  He not that way at all, being one of the kindest and gentlest men I know, yet a godfather of martial arts mojo.  He's a man of many pieces, and I'm glad he shared this one.  Enjoy.

Hat tip to Bill Crider.

No comments: