Friday, January 24, 2014

New Novella Out

 
Sometimes things just work out.  That's what happened here.
 
Game designer Ross Watson got hold of me through Facebook or email, I can't remember when, and chatted me up about stuff.  Then he mentioned this new RPG tabletop he was putting together with some friends.  The game has a twist that caught my attention, and the striking image you see above.  Monsters are the heroes, and they're fighting back against Witches (yep, capital W) that have savaged the world of Morden.
 
I loved that picture of the monster above, and a story just screamed inside my head to be let out.  It's about a young man who wakes up 50 years after the Bane War, crawls out of a mass grave, and goes off to see the world.  Along the way he meets Romany, monks who reach out to the Accursed, and a blind girl who is a master martial artist.
 
Yeah, some of the story comes from the source material, but not Martin the Monster and Galina, Witches' Bane.  They were characters I found when I was flipping through the pages of the beta copy of the game, and I had to tell their story.
 
This is a 23,000 word novella, so it's a nice length to settle in with.  And, sales and my writing schedule permitting, I'd like to find out what happens with Martin and Galina when they show up in Port Sorrow following the wishes of a dead man who's not quite dead enough.
 
The novella is available on Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and (soon) ibooks.
 
Ross and his crew think I did a good job exploring the world and the possibilities, my son enjoyed the read, and I had a great time playing in the Accursed world.
 
 
 
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/patchwork-mel-odom/1118200570?ean=2940148150060
 

1 comment:

John Dunn said...

Thanks for working with us on this one, Mel! We're really excited about it too.