Thursday, May 13, 2010

Superhero Tee Shirt Power


Yes, I know my geekdom is showing.  But I'm OK with that.  I love superheroes.  When I was a kid, I had one Batman tee shirt.  That was during the heyday of the Batman show back in the 1960s.  I loved that shirt, but I outgrew it way too soon.

Marvel Comics advertised tee shirts in the backs of their magazines.  I never found any in the stores, and my mom wouldn't let me send away for them.  So I was a deprived child.  At least in my mind.

As I got older, only dorky superhero shirts spinning out of movies were made.  I had a few of those but I really wanted the basic superhero tee shirt.  Thankfully, as I got older, superheroes got more popular.  Now, they're hotter than ever.

I just got back from a three day trip to Seattle.  While there, I wore superhero tee shirts.  Maybe they made me conspicuous to most of the public, but I got preferential treatment in all the airports as well as a couple of the restaurants.  People recognize the heroes and immediately thought of me as one of the good guys.

I even had an instance where a young boy only four or five years old recognized the Flash on my tee shirt and approached me to talk.  His mom didn't freak out because he was talking to strangers, and I think she was seen me as a good guy as well.  I talked to the boy and ended up helping his mom with some necessary information to get them on their way.

That's what superheroes do.  :)

No comments: