Thursday, August 09, 2012

I Write Radio Heroes


I love heroes.  I can't imagine a world without them.  The Green Hornet and the Lone Ranger were two of the heroes I grew up as a kid.  At the time I thought they were just television shows and comic books and didn't know about their rich history as radio heroes.

As I grew up, I became a fan of OTR as well (Old Time Radio), basically television without words because a lot of the stories are familiar genres with familiar heroes.  I read the new comic books that Dynamite put out and thought about how great it would be to write a few issues, but that job was already sewn up.

Then I was contacted by the good folks at Moonstone and asked into the anthology they were doing.  I got to write a Lone Ranger story called, "The Great Dinosaur Rush" that I thought was a fun adventure, mixing the Ranger in with some real life history.  Back in those days there were real dinosaur hunters (the bones for museums and private collectors), and I thought it would be cool for the Ranger to meet up with a young female archeologist who was in danger.





Although I didn't know it then, the Ranger (John Reid) was actually the great-uncle to another masked hero.  Britt Reid wore the mask as the Green Hornet.  By the time the television series came out in the 1960s (with Bruce Lee as Kato), the great-uncle aspect had aged out, so they didn't play it up in the series.

I've always wanted to write a Green Hornet story, so I bugged (see what I did there?) Moonstone editor/owner Joe Gentile to get into the latest collection, which is just now being released.  I had a blast writing this one too.  And I'm in there with legends of the comics industry and other writers that I read!



No comments: