Sunday, June 04, 2006

Mystery Woman Movies

My wife and I love watching mystery movies that have real mysteries. We'll kill an evening (yes, I deliberately chose that word) watching an episode of FOYLE'S WAR (I'll blog about that at a later date) or another BBC serving of homicidal sleight-of-hand, guessing throughout as to whodunit.

On a whim this weekend (ADHD, remember? My life is FILLED with whims), I saw a DVD on the shelves at Wal-Mart and picked up MYSTERY WOMAN: MYSTERY WEEKEND. Kellie Martin stars as Samantha Kinsey, who owns her own mystery book shop and has a passion for mysteries. Just can't get enough of them. As most of us who love mysteries are.

Normally, when left to my own devices, I prefer an evening with Robert B. Parker (although my wife and I agree that the SPENSER: FOR HIRE TV series was the bomb and wish they would all get released on DVD -- we do have the 4 movies but they just aren't the same) or Robert Crais. But for watching murder mysteries with my eagle-eyed wife who never misses a clue, I find myself throughly engrossed -- and challenged if not by the writer, then by my wife who will solve something in a heartbeat if I'm not on my toes -- in these movies.

The MYSTERY WOMAN movies series, if the other movies are as well-written and well-acted as this one, are excellent fare for those of you just wanting to kill an evening giving in to your Sherlock Holmes fantasies.

You can read my review of the movie at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EWBO7W/ref=cm_rv_thx_view/002-9641997-7084059?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

If you've got any favorite mystery movies (that are relatively bloodless and violence-free), let me know.

No comments: