Monday, January 14, 2008



Birthday Present!

Tomorrow is my wife's birthday. I'm giving her money because it's always the right color and always the right size. Also, she has one of those really cool birthdays right during all the inventory sales, so she always gets more bang for my bucks.

But today I stumbled across picture from last year on my hard drive. Sherry took Chandler to the zoo. I had to stay home and work. I do that a lot. I haven't been to the zoo with him in three years or so. (I'm taking my 18 year old to Dallas next month to the Delbert McClinton concert at Billy Bob's, so I do things with them. I just didn't do this.)

My first resolution was to take Chandler to the zoo this year because it hurt to see what I'd missed out on. He loves animals and I forgot just how much. But I try to provide for my family. They're just growing up before I get everything locked down.

However, I realized that Sherry has probably forgotten all about this picture. Chandler is having one of the best times of his life. You can tell by that grin. So, for her birthday, I'm going to Wal-Mart tonight, use my handy zip drive, and blow this sucker up to an 8 x 10 or an 11 x 14 and find a frame for her.

I think this picture will be a great birthday gift for a mom that stays incredibly busy too. She's gonna look at it and remember how happy her son was that day, and those memories get to be incredibly precious. (After all, I have all the memories of taking Chandler to the comics store and book store last year. And coaching him in baseball and basketball. We all have our provincial domains!)



I'm still gonna give her money, though. Didn't want you to think I was a conniving husband just looking for a way out of gifting cash! :)

3 comments:

T.C. Robson said...

Awww, that'll be such a sweet gift! Happy Birthday to her!

TerriRainer said...

As a mom myself, I think the picture is one of the sweetest things (way better than money) that you could have given her. I'm sure it probably brought a tear to her eye to know that her husband was so thoughtful.

I'm sure the money was appreciated too (Momma ALWAYS needs a new pair of shoes)!

Hope her birthday was great, and maybe you should think about teaching a class for husbands on how to be a thoughtful one (I'd send mine in a heartbeat)!

Kudos to you Mel!

Katie said...

I think the pictures are a great idea.