Friday, March 26, 2010


Morning Conversations With Chandler

I get to take my 12 year old to school at least twice a week while I'm teaching.  We always have weird conversations.  At least, according to his mom they're weird.

But we just think about stuff.

Like this morning.  We stopped at McDonalds (and why can't you find a dog sipping out of a McDonalds cup on the internet?) for breakfast.  Chandler took it upon himself to put the straws in the soda cups while I drove.  He struggled with getting the straw through the lid of my drink.

That got me to thinking, which is not always a good thing.  But it's at least inventive.

I said, "What if that cup could talk?  What if when you shoved the straw in it screamed bloody murder?"

Chandler cracked up, saying that would be the perfect thing to get for little kids.  We both lost it then, thinking of his nephew and my grandson (two years old) freaking out when he shoved a straw into a cup.

Just think:  you could put those mini-recorders in soft drink lids, you know, the ones you get in gift cards.  Open the card, Elvis sings?

The cup lid idea might not be patentable, but if I had the chance I'd do it.

My favorite quote for a drink lid?

"Don't make me come outta this cup!"

2 comments:

Jaimie Krycho said...

If you pressed down the little circles on the lid of this sentient cup, would you consider that pushing its buttons, or busting its bubble?

Mel Odom said...

Ah, very good question! I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to mention it to Chandler and get his take on it. :)