Monday, March 22, 2010


Water Conservation

I've been off on Spring Break for the last week.  I've got a lot of writing done, but my health has improved considerably.  Except for the changes in weather we're experiencing in Oklahoma.  Seventy degree temps Thursday, snow on Saturday.  Wow.

Anyway, I've also been dreaming a lot.  I usually do, creative mind and all that.  But I've actually had a couple of good ideas lately.

One involves a new way of outlining a book and taking advantage of the internet blogs.  More on that later.

For the moment, though, I want to concentrate on water conservation.  Summer will be upon us soon.  I got to thinking about all the half-drunk bottles of water and soft drinks people toss in the trash.  I realized that water never makes it back to the city water plant until it soaks back into the ground water source wherever the community dump starts.

That takes a long time.  Especially if the plastic bottle isn't ruptured and the fluid stays within the container.

So, as I gather up my son's half-drunk coke bottles and water bottles, I pour the leftover contents down the sink drain.  That puts it back into the system a lot faster.

If the water/soft drink got shipped in from outside the city, it's bonus water supply.

Think about it as you get in the habit of tossing these bottles.  1) you won't have liquid spills if the trash bag rips, and 2) you'll be helping conserve water.

No comments: