Friday, January 21, 2011

A New Tarzan of the Apes?


I've missed Tarzan.  Grew up with him in my formative years and spent summers climbing through trees to be just like him.  You know, back in the old days when kids actually went outside and imagined adventures instead of renting them for video games.

Now it looks like they're redoing the old series for young adults.  I've got mixed feelings about the concept but I'll probably pick it up and read it.  I felt the same way about the Disney Tarzan but I checked my reluctance at the door and went in and enjoyed the movie, and the sequel.

Still, I can't imagine a fiesty fourteen year old Jane Porter who's basically a nerd.  And I knew all I needed to know of Tarzan's younger years through


FREE! for Kindles

So I'm kind of gobsmacked over the whole idea.  But if I had the opportunity to write Tarzan, I'd jump at it.  There's something about the idea of a jungle lord that is just immensely appealing to me.  Hanging in trees, swatting down bad guys, discovering lost cities as old as time.  Ah, that was the life.

I grew up on the old Whitman classics of the Tarzan reprints.







And the Sunday Comics drawn by Russ Manning.








And as you notice from the link above, several of the early Tarzan novels are all free for the Kindle.  Go.  Enjoy.  Those stories, though dated and politically incorrect by today's standards, are some of the good old stuff.

Thanks and a hat tip to Bill Crider and his blog.




2 comments:

wayne d. dundee said...

Wow, Tarzan has endured so much in a century of existence. Now this ... Et tu, Political Correctness? I'll probably read it, too, so I guess we'll have to see. What's been baffling me over the past several years is WHY --- with the advancements in computer generated imagery, the visuals like we saw in AVATAR and the latest KING KONG remake, the popularity of pulpish adventures such as Indy Jones and all the Superhero movies --- WHY isn't somebody making a period-piece, accurate, high-value production TARZAN MOVIE?

Mel Odom said...

You're preaching to the choir, brother. At least we've got superheroes. Now if only Hollywood would rediscover pulp. *sigh*